Report of LPC Meeting 6th July 2016 LPC Meeting Minutes & Reports

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE LENHAM PARISH COUNCIL

 HELD ON THE 6th JULY 2016 IN THE OSBORNE ROOM AT THE COMMUNITY CENTRE AT 7.30pm

 

PRESENT        Cllr. R Greenwood Chairman presiding.

Cllrs. M Cockett, P Culver, K Lapwood, J Nye, N Osborne,

P Scrivens & A Walmsley. Borough Cllr. J Sams.

M McFarlane (Clerk) Community Warden M Sherwood.

Cllr. M Allardyce representing Harrietsham Parish Council.

6 Members of the public.

 

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION (7.30pm – 7.50pm)

A resident raised concerns relating to the protection of newts in and around the Glebe pond, following the granting of permission to build on the site.  The Chairman confirmed full and thorough ecological reports had been submitted to MBC by the land owners during the planning process.  A request that overhanging tree branches on Lenham Heath Road at Sandway should be cut back.  The land owner will be identified and requested to cut back the vegetation.

 

A Liverton Hill resident raised safety concerns following several incidences of large vehicles being unable to negate the narrow road.  Cllr. Scrivens confirmed four unsuitable for HGV signs are to be installed in the parish. The resident also reported the overgrown verges were causing safety issues, particularly at the entrance to the railway station. Due to budget cut backs verges are only being cut twice a year by KCC. Cllr. Scrivens will speak with County Cllr. J Whittle and report the concerns.

 

The Chairman of Lenham Enhancement Association announced the disbandment of the group after eighteen years he thanked LPC for their support.  Cllr. Greenwood thanked the Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and group members for all their efforts.  Some former LEA members are adopting individual planters.

LEA closing accounts will be made available to the LPC. A request that LPC investigate the exact intentions of the St John Ambulance charity who are selling the allotment site. The Chairman suggested a formal communication will be sent to establish the facts. It is hoped the site can be secured as an asset for the community. It was suggested a notice be placed at the Cherry Downs picnic site informing visitors the fruit from the site was for sharing equally and not to be taken by one individual.

 

It was reported that trees at the top of Robins Close are overgrown and the footpath running from the station to Lenham Storage needs the vegetation cut back.  Cllr. Sams confirmed the trees at Robins Close have been reported to KCC for attention.  Issues of overgrown vegetation in Honywood Road have also been reported. A site meeting will be organised with MBC to discuss parking issues in Foord and Douglas Road.

 

The Community Warden presented the crime figures, 6 crimes in Lenham, 2 in Lenham Heath and 4 road traffic accidents. There were 38 calls to the police from Lenham and 6 from Lenham Heath.  Imminent action is being undertaken concerning issues of criminal damage.  Information relating to trading scams, a project to divert nuisance telephone calls and a monthly drop in session for over 65s were given to the Clerk for advertising.

The Chairman welcomed Cllr. Allardyce from Harrietsham Parish Council & opened the meeting at 8.08pm.

 

16/29                APOLOGIES & APPROVAL OF ABSENCES

The Council accepted the reason for apology for absence from:

Cllr. M Ballard (unwell) Cllr. M Jerrett (recuperating) PCSO Boyd (work commitment)

  1. Cllr. J Whittle (family commitment)

The Chairman wished a speedy recovery to Cllrs. Ballard & Jerrett.  He announced the resignation of H Shotter who had been an active Cllr. and will be missed.

 

16/30               TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS

Declarations of Interest on Agenda items.

Cllr. Osborne declared an interest in the land transfer agenda item 6

Requests for dispensations.  No requests

 

16/31                TO REQUEST NOTIFICATION

The Chairman requested notification of intention to film, photograph or record any items.

No notifications received.

 

16/32                MINUTES

Cllr. Osborne proposed, Cllr. Lapwood seconded and it was RESOLVED that minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on the 1st June 2016 are a true record and were approved and adopted.

 

16/33                PROGRESS OF RESOLUTIONS (For information purposes only)

Signs for the Maidstone Road car park will be sourced from Signway Supplies.

The replacement fence at the car park will be installed Friday 8th July.

 

16/34                COMMUNITY CENTRE TRANSFER

Cllr. Scrivens proposed and Cllr. Walmsley seconded and it was RESOLVED that the delegated authority for the land transfer to be concluded by the Clerk having consulted the relevant councillors and authorize Cllrs. Greenwood and Jerrett to execute the transfer. (As advised by the LPC solicitor)

Cllr. Osborn confirmed the landlords of the surgery will meet with the trustees to discuss the car park facility.

 

16/35                  TO RECEIVE MINUTES OF THE FINANCE & GENERAL PURPOSES MEETING

Cllr. Greenwood proposed, Cllr. Walmsley seconded and it was RESOLVED that the recommendations contained in the report of the meeting on the 15th June be approved and adopted.

 

16/36                TO RECEIVE MINUTES OF THE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEEETING

Cllr. Greenwood reported on the NHP progress and suggested an up to date article outlining the next steps of the plan and confirming site developments granted thus far will be submitted to Focus magazine. The NHP team are mindful of spending limitations and an application has been made for further funding.

The NHP team need more members, parishioners interested in more information should contact the Clerk.

A meeting has been organised with the developers of land south of the railway to discuss road and pedestrian access.

A document produced by MBC outlining broad locations for development will be available in the Library, Community Centre and on the LPC web-site.

Cllr. Osborne proposed, Cllr. Greenwood seconded and it was RESOLVED that the recommendations contained in the report of the meetings on the 15th June be approved and adopted.

 

 

16/37                TO RECEIVE ORAL REPORTS FROM COUNCIL SPOKESPERSONS

a) HIGHWAYS

The new signage in the Square is ongoing, with several businesses interested in purchasing a finger post sign.

Cllr. Scrivens will attend a meeting with KCC to discuss speed reduction in Headcorn Road.

Oral reports continued:

b) CCTV

Cllr. Culver is organising a site meeting at Lenham Storage to repair/replace the CCTV overlooking the BMX park. The Ham Lane CCTV also needs repair.  The village coverage system could be temporarily placed in the Dog and Bear until a clear line for signal purposes can be established from the Community Centre.

 

c) PARISH PLAY FACILITIES

Cllr. Walmsley confirmed the phase one maintenance and repair of equipment is almost complete.

Leaflets to nearby residents at Ham Lane outlining future equipment installation have been delivered.

The hedge needs cut back asap. Cllr. Culver proposed, Cllr. Lapwood seconded and it was RESOVED

to undertake the works up to £200.  The Clerk will organise as a matter of urgency.

 

d) ENVIRONMENT & PROJECTS

Cllr. Osborne reported overgrown residential hedges along the High Street and the Twittens footpath.

Whilst the weeds in the Square and High Street have been sprayed they now need removed.  Cllr.

Greenwood will discuss with S Waring.

Cllr. Walmsley will investigate further the option of residents setting up an association and cutting

the grass in the Cherry Close play area.

 

e) TOURISM

Cllr. Nye has met with Falcon to discuss web-site options for a Lenham Tourist site.

He and Cllr. Greenwood have visited several local businesses to gauge interest in advertising

Tourist attractions in a leaflet and on a web-site.

Cllr. Nye proposed, Cllr. Culver seconded and it was RESOLVED to join the LVBA, Cllr. Nye will be the LPC representative.

 

j) EDUCATION

Cllr. Culver reported Lenham Primary exam results were favorable.  An advertisement for the position of Head teacher is being organised.  The deputy head has taken the role of head teacher in the meantime. Swadelands are consulting on the building of a new science block, Cllr. Greenwood will attend the event on behalf of LPC. Concerns have been raised as to the future of the swimming pool, LPC will ask for clarification.

 

l) CEMETERY

Cllr. Greenwood reported the large diseased tree in the south east corner will need to be felled, quotes

will be sought and a tree audit undertaken.

  

16/38                REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE MEETINGS

Cllr. Osborne attended the Harrietsham Parish Council on behalf of LPC.

Both Lenham and Harrietsham are concerned about the provision of extra school facilities with the proposed expansion of the villages.  Cllr. Allardyce agreed a meeting with the MP would be useful.

 

16/39                   KALC & CPRE

Cllrs. Cockett & Greenwood attended the KALC Maidstone Area Committee AGM.

Cllr. Greenwood will attend meetings to discuss the way forward concerning the MBC Local Plan and report back concerning any associated costs to LPC.

 

16/40                FINANCE

To authorize payments (Details of payments to be tabled) Cheque no: Amount

                    

Wellers Hedleys Solicitors.  Legal advice. LCC transfer                     4622             1066.80

Made by Falcon.  Web-site service June                                             4623                 50.00

J Ault. Tree Surgeon. Picnic site/Glebe pond                                      4624             1050.00

P Humphries.  Notice boards x 2 refurbishment                                 4625               400.00

A Barr lease payment for Ham Lane play area 2016/17                      4626                   1.05

M McFarlane. Office expenses/petty cash                                          4627               102.73

Lenham Business Assoc. Membership fee                                         4628                75.00

J A Boyd.  Cemetery ground works                                                   4629               200.00

Wicksteed Playgrounds.  Play areas project.                                       4630               145.82

Peter Goodwin.  BMX repairs/maintenance                                        4631             1168.00

Jen Contractors.  WCs/Litter picking  April & June                           4632             1350.00

MS Computer Services.  Office computer repairs.                              4633                80.00

 

Salaries & expenses detailed as Appendix A and filed with a signed copy of these minutes.

  1. To note receipt of income (Details of income to be tabled)

Cleverley & Spencer Cemetery fees                                                                      286.00

Maidstone Borough Council.  S106 open space monies                                  47,518.39

 

Cllr. Walmsley proposed, Cllr. Scrivens seconded and it was RESOLVED to make the payments.  Cllrs. Scrivens and Cockett signed the cheques on behalf of LPC.

Cllr. Cockett requested the payments tabled at the meeting be sent via e-mail before the meeting date.  This will be discussed at Finance and General Purposes Committee.

The Clerk will contact the recommended internal auditor to discuss terms for the replacement of Mr. K Funnell who has retired.

 

16/41                CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED (For information only)

A resident requested placing a replacement bench at the cemetery.  Cllrs. agreed this would be acceptable.

LPC will establish formal communication with St John Ambulance to discuss the future of the allotment site at Ham Lane.

 

The meeting closed at 9.58pm

Report of LPC Meeting 6th July 2016
0 votes, 0.00 avg. rating (0% score)